Tuesday 7 November 2017

It's All Coming Up Rainbows, Daffodils and...Mulch?

Today began with the discovery of a huge rainbow in our entrance way.  The boys were entranced.  There is nothing more magical then a rainbow, even if it is caused by your own fish tank.


The knowledge that winter is just around the corner, in combination with our love of a good deal, resulted in us purchasing some 350 daffodil bulbs this past weekend.  The emergence of daffodils signal the end of what is usually a very long winter.  They are a welcome sign each spring.  



Knowing how eagerly I await them, I always intend to plant more daffodil bulbs each autumn.  However, I am often foiled by my own forgetfulness. By fall I usually cannot remember where the daffodils had popped up in the spring.  At the suggestion of my mom, this past spring I got smart and took photos of my gardens.  This way I knew exactly which spots would benefit from a few extra bulbs.  I cannot wait to see all these new blooms come springtime!

Seamus and I finished the day by starting our mulching adventures.  Ian found us the best deal on garden mulch: $20 for a trailer full.  I picked up our first load this afternoon and Seamus and I spread it out on one of my flower beds.  This is the first of what I suspect will be many, many loads of mulch.  I hope my back holds out - all this shoveling is quite a change for a body used to sitting at a computer all day writing a dissertation!  I must admit though, I much prefer to be outside.  

Here we go!
Almost there! Phew!





Stay tuned for more mulching escapades in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment