Wednesday 15 November 2017

Left Out in the Cold (by Choice)

My chickens are usually really good about heading inside the coop when it gets dark.  I never have to chase them in.  However, this morning when I went back to let them out, there were already two chickens frolicking in the chicken run. 

The rogue chickens hiding behind the apple tree.  I can still see you!
The only explanation is that these two birds went rogue last night and hid outside to avoid bed time.  Goodness, it sounds like I am talking about the boys!  The two avian rascals are the chicks our broody hen raised this summer.

Mama hen and her three chicks in August.
I will be careful to take a better look around the yard tonight before shutting the birds in.  Not only is there a risk of foxes and raccoons for hens that brave the night, but it is cold!  It went down to minus seven degrees Celsius last night. It will be much safer and toastier inside the coop.  Silly chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment