Monday 20 November 2017

Boozy Cake you say?

Guest post by Ian today....

Signs the holidays are here:

- Parades
- Snow
- Poinsettias & Panettone in the grocery stores
- Krystal complaining about fruitcakes
- Ian eating fruitcakes (and Panettone).

In the spirit, I read something about making fruitcake, and dug up a few recipes.  Found one I kinda liked, but then decided it was terrible and went with another (more specific) recipe.

Surprised when I saw the candied fruit ingredients cost 40 bucks, but the realized I had weighed in KG, and so I had a double recipe.  Perfect!  More for me!

Bulk Barn was next to the LCBO, how convenient, so I could pick up some bourbon for the cakes.  Bought a bottle of Bulleit as I've heard it's good value for money -- little did I know, i wouldn't really have any left for drinking!  That's another 40 bucks into these cakes.  A little christmas cheer is priceless right?

Well, fruit needed soaking in bourbon, and then creaming butter, sugar, eggs, dry ingredients together, mix in some espresso and molasses and you've got yourself some cakes!  Finally, wrap in cheesecloth soaked in the good stuff and let it sit.  and sit.  and sit.  Longer is better.





















I even had some help!  Liam was measuring out the Bourbon and giving it good sniffs to know if it was "good enough".

Bring on the holidays!

For the recipe, click HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment