Friday 17 November 2017

Warm Bread on a Cold Day

We recently became the proud owners of a new bread maker.  We actually wore out our old one. 


I love the smell of freshly baked bread in the house.  In the same way that using our Kitchen Aid food processor reminds me of my Grandpa Ed (it was his wedding gift to us), making bread reminds me of Ian's dearly departed Grandpa Al.

Grandpa Al and baby Liam
I am not sure if he actually made a lot of homemade bread (his homemade waffles were excellent!), but on a trip to Thunder Bay to introduce him to his first great grandchild (Liam), he gifted me with this bread book off his kitchen shelf.  Making recipes out of it makes me think of him. 


We are currently out of skim milk powder, so this week I tried the Breakfast Bread.


I substituted wheat flour for the spelt flour (we did not have that either).  After measuring carefully on the kitchen scale and making no other substitutions, it ended up like this. Too runny. 


I added an extra cup of flour. Better. 


The finished product was good. It could have used more cinnamon. Seamus had no problem getting it down the hatch once it was smeared with butter.


There is nothing better than fresh, warm bread on a cold day to bring back memories of loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment