Thursday 5 March 2020

Wool You Spin Me into Yarn?

After collecting sheep fleeces for five years and then waiting forever to have my wool processed and spun (seriously, every fibre mill has a two year waiting list), my time has finally come! 

Tonight I skirted Abbott and Violet's 2019 fleeces in preparation for sending them off to become yarn.


Skirting is the process of removing “junk” wool, poop, dirt and vegetable matter from the wool fleece prior to processing it. 

Unusable wool full of dirt and lanolin.
I had already done this for the previous years' wool. 

Lovely wool ready to go!
I was hoping that all my fleeces (about 15) would fit in one very large box but after attempting to cram them in, it seems that this is not to be.  Only half my bags fit into the box.


Now I am in search of another very large box and then I will be able to ship everything off to Freelton Fibre Mill in Puslinch, Ontario. 

I am so excited to get my yarn.  How incredibly cool will it be to have clothing made from my very own sheep's wool?!  All I will need to do then is to find someone who can knit me a pair of socks using the most expensive wool on the planet (seriously, these will be like $500 socks).  Calling Auntie Tanya, perhaps?  Any knitters out there with an opening in their schedule and a willingness to accept something we produce here on the farm as payment (e.g. honey, soap, bread, jam, vegetables, animal cuddles, etc.)?


No comments:

Post a Comment