Friday 6 December 2019

Birthday Soaping

Before having kids I would have never expected to voluntarily choose a birthday dinner of chicken fingers and french fries. 


But faced with the prospect of getting three very tired children down to bed by myself on a Friday night after a long week, I opted for the path of least resistance (and, full disclosure, a little bribery).

After fetching the big boys from the school bus, I proposed that we throw Mama a "birthday party" with, you guessed it, their favourite dinner.  But first they had to pull Alistair around in the sled while Mama put the animals to bed.  It worked!

After dinner, I proposed a second bribe - if the big boys bathed themselves, brushed their hair and teeth, and put their jammies on while I nursed Alistair to sleep in the next room then they could have double the bedtime stories.  Whoa Nellie!  Four books each; it was a night time read-a-thon!

Bring on the points for Super Mama of the Year!  I had all the farm animals and human children fed, clean and in bed asleep by 6:44 pm.  All by myself.

At this point, a normal person would curl up with a good book but I could not resist the lure of several hours of free time - this does not happen often.  So, I pulled out my soaping stuff and made a heck of a mess in the kitchen.


I made a dandelion-infused soap with sunflower fragrance and poppy seeds.  It ended up looking amazing and was incredibly fun to make.


I really hope it turns out.  I cannot wait to cut the loaf into bars.  Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment