Wednesday 4 December 2019

Strawberry Patch Solidarity

It was a busy day here on Gael Glen Farm with the big boys home from school due a walkout by the Ontario Secondary School Teacher’s Federation (OSSTF). In between occupying them with a trip to the public library, decorating a gingerbread house, a special lunch date at McDonald's and a very long play in the restaurant's playroom, I did manage to put my strawberry patch to bed for the winter.


All my strawberry plants are now tucked in safely until springtime under a comfy bed of straw. 

 In my current vocation as a farm girl, I have zero influence over the policy direction that our provincial government is taking with regard to education.  However, for what it is worth, I have the utmost respect for educators who have made it their life's work to shape our children into kind and compassionate human beings.  Who better to provide insight regarding the potential implications of the government's policy directives than those who are responsible for implementing them on the ground?  

I stand in solidarity with the high school teachers, educational assistants, early childhood educators, and school support staff represented by the OSSTF even if it is in a strawberry patch instead of on a picket line.

No comments:

Post a Comment