Thursday 12 December 2019

Countdown to Christmas

Holiday preparations are trotting along here on Gael Glen Farm.  The tree is trimmed. 


Yes, the boys were up at 5 am to decorate it.  They just could not wait.  At least I am a morning person.


The stockings are hung by the fireplace with care.  Now if only everyone can resist tugging on them, maybe we will make it through the holidays without breaking another one of the toy train stocking holders.


Thanks to a combination of Kijiji, Value Village, Amazon, Walmart, the dollar store and a sale at Canadian Tire, all of our Christmas shopping is done.  I vow not to set foot in a store (online or otherwise) other than for groceries until the new year.  Now I just have to wrap everything - which I swear I will do before Christmas Eve.  I swear!

Today I got started on my holiday baking.  Grandma cared for Alistair allowing me to check four holiday favourites off of my to do list: chewy ginger molasses cookies,


chocolate chip cheesecake cookies,


I like the ones that give you a little peek of what is inside.
Ian likes the ones that keep the surprise centre completely under wraps.
the trifecta - peanut butter cheesecake chocolate chip cookies,



and buckeyes (peanut butter balls). 


Getting a few treats done and in the freezer was the push I needed to get going on the rest of my baking list.  Grandma's date squares, Grandpa's fudge and GG's butter tarts are next!

Between the pine tree and the holiday cookies, the house smells divine.  The Advent calendars are getting lighter and the boys are getting excited - I mean really excited.  Alistair does not even understand why he is so excited but he is happy to follow the lead of his older brothers. 


The count down to Christmas is on and I hope that smiles like these continue in the days to come.  If the holidays are about good cheer, then I think Alistair has that covered!

No comments:

Post a Comment