Friday 20 December 2019

Blood Spatter Analysis

It is always disconcerting when I enter into the chicken coop in the morning and am greeted by a blood bath.  This is not the first time this has happened.  Remember that day last spring when Beemster got bumble foot and bled all over the roosts?  It looked like a crime scene.


Unfortunately, Beemster is having some issues once again.  In spite of my addition of a heat lamp in the chicken coop, one of the tips of Beemster's comb got frostbitten during our latest cold snap.  The skin turned black and then fell off resulting in blood spatter all across the coop - on the feeder, in the water bucket, on the wall.


Ian and I disinfected Beemster's comb, applied Polysporin to the wound and then slathered a thick layer of Vaseline all over his comb and wattles.  This should help prevent future frostbite incidents.  I am so glad nobody died.  A bloody comb, that I can handle!

No comments:

Post a Comment