Sunday 28 October 2018

Time to Get My Bread Baking Groove Back

With the sudden arrival of winter, my interest in bread baking has returned.

Lambs' first experience with snow.

Ducks on the go.

Chickens: "No, no, no!"
This morning I baked my first loaf in months.  My sourdough starter bit the dust during my baking hiatus so I am experimenting with yeast breads instead of naturally leavened ones.  While baking this morning's bread, I forgot to add the salt.  And we were out of butter.  #breadfail  It seems that I am out of practice.

Perhaps I need to rely on recipes until I get my bread baking groove back?  I pulled out one of my dad's bread books and started the process for making pain de l'ancienne - a back to basics, traditional Parisian baguette.



The dough is all mixed and kneaded but must sit in the fridge all night.  It is then sliced and baked into loaves in the morning.  I will post on the outcome of this experiment tomorrow.  Oh yes, and I bought butter - just in case everything goes to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment