Thursday 25 October 2018

Icin' Them Sprouts

With Seamus on Shay-cation at the cottage with Grandma for a few days, I was able to putter around the farm this morning.  I pruned back some apple tree branches that have been in my way, tidied up the area of the garden where Ian wants to till and plant the garlic, helped Ian finish installing the last few pieces of trim on the donkey barn, and harvested about a third of our brussels sprouts crop.

These sprouts have been planted outside since way back in April.  Talk about a crop that needs a long growing season - almost six months outside and at least a month inside before that!  Lucky that they are frost hardy.  I am happy to report that our sprouts are finally big and beautiful.

Brussels sprout on the plant.

All picked off.

Put 'em in the bowl.
They washed up nicely, got portioned out and went into the freezer in six small ziplock bags.



In my travels this morning I also came across two forgotten squash.  Looks like squash and sprouts will be on the menu some time in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment