Friday 23 February 2018

Violet's Sore Eye

I read somewhere that duct tape is a man's (person's?) best friend.  While this may be true, I am convinced that Polysporin is a farmer's best friend.  It treats so many things, like when the sheep injure their eyeball.  While I am not entirely sure how this happens, I assume it is mundane things like accidentally poking themselves in the eye with a tree branch or a piece of hay from the feeder.  When this happens, their eye ball (which is normally clear) becomes white and foggy.  It has happened two or three times to Alice and today I noticed that Violet's eye is looking sore.

Violet's foggy eye.
The treatment recommended by our vet is to use Polysporin.  It has worked miracles for Alice in the past so today my task was to catch Violet and smear cream in her eye ball.  Very pleasant as you can imagine.  Actually, the first time is never so difficult because the sheep is unsuspecting.  Today I caught Violet by surprise, flipped her on her back, and she even kept still for a photo before I applied the cream.  I promise you that tomorrow's treatment will not be so effortless.

Violet after treatment.
After being let go, she does not seem bothered about being manhandled.
She even came over so I could pet her nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment