Wednesday 3 January 2018

Homemade Butter = Happiness

I have found the secret to happiness.  It is making homemade butter and then spreading it on rustic homemade bread.  Seriously.  For me, it does not get better than this.


If you have not guessed, today I made butter.  With the help of my trusty butter yellow KitchenAid mixer, I whipped up (pun intended) my first ever batch of sweet cream butter.


I started with four cups of whipping cream.  As of yet, I do not own an animal that I can milk, so this was bought from the store.


Using the whisk attachment I beat the cream at speed 4.


And that was it.  No joke.




I switched to the paddle attachment when I could see liquid pooling along the sides of the bowl.  This did not reduce the splashing but it did stop the butter from getting all stuck inside the whisk attachment.


Half an hour later I had butter and buttermilk.


After separating the two, I washed the butter three times in cold water until the water ran clear.


I then mixed in 1/2 tsp of sea salt.


I cut the butter ball in half, and put half on the butter dish and the other half in the freezer.  The buttermilk went into the fridge.  I think buttermilk biscuits might be in my future.



Amazing!  Butter making was so easy, yet so satisfying.  My next butter related project will be to make the slightly more sophisticated cultured butter.  I cannot wait!

4 comments:

  1. I am impressed! Good job...I cannot wait to taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is something you can get the kids to help with! Put your cream into a kidprof container, and get them to shake the f*ck out of it. Punt it around the garden, roll it through the house, just as much vigorous movement as possible - et voila! Your cream should turn to butter! (We did it at science camp as Ann activity years ago...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We are working our way through a tub of peanut butter so we can use the jar for precisely this purpose.

      Delete
  3. YOU MADE YOUR OWN BUTTER???? WHATTTTTTT

    ReplyDelete