Friday 26 January 2018

Three Ways to Please Your Yeast

I have been spending the past few weeks getting to know what makes my wild yeast tick - you know, its likes, dislikes, how to motivate it, etc.  Despite my regimented twice daily feeding schedule and constant vigilance, I was feeling like my yeast was lacking initiative, it was unmotivated.  There were very few bubbles and so, it was hardly rising - really, it was a pathetic excuse for a wild yeast culture.  If this relationship was going to continue, we were both going to have to step up our game.

After much research on the human-yeast relationship, I have ascertained that things might improve between us if I begin to treat my yeast more like my husband.  Go figure.  I better explain.

There are three keys to making both Ian and my wild yeast happy: heat, rye, and just enough agitation to keep them on their toes.  Given the number of friends and relations who follow this blog, I will forgo explaining the connection between Ian and heat and leave that one to you.  My yeast likes heat from the pilot light of the gas fireplace in our living room.  The sourdough starter is happiest when placed on the mantle.

Ian, as a member of the Walsh-MacLeod clan, has been known to relish a glass of good rye whisky at a family celebration or really, just because.  My yeast, on the other hand, likes rye flakes.  My research indicated that yeast likes to eat the minerals in rye flour, which I did not happen to have, so I tossed in some rye flakes instead.  Seems to have done the trick.

Lastly, I read that many people give their starter a quick stir a few times throughout the day.  Up to this point I had only been stirring mine when feeding in the morning and evening.  I upped the stirring to four times per day.  My relationship with Ian also benefits from challenging each other - thank goodness not four times per day - but requiring each other to question why we see the world a certain way is good for us as critical thinking individuals and as engaged members of civil society.  So, I would argue that a bit of agitation is a good thing - keeps everyone sharp.

After implementing these three changes - heat, rye, and agitation - my yeast and I are on much better terms.


1 comment:

  1. Great blog...see, all that experience with Ian is proving to be valuable!

    ReplyDelete