Wednesday 17 January 2018

A Grainy Day

We began the day by feeding the sourdough starter and making cultured butter out of yesterday's homemade creme fraiche.  The boys helped.  The butter turned out nicely.  We waited to try it because I figured it warranted warm homemade bread - a project for the afternoon.


















Next our grain was delivered and we filled up all our empty grain bins.


The sheep and donkey get a grain snack of whole oats and corn once a day at bedtime.



The goats get a combination of dairy goat pellets and alfalfa pellets.


All the animals get a mineral too.  Interestingly, the sheep and goats get a different mineral because goats need copper at a level that would be poisonous to sheep.

This is the sheep mineral.
In addition stocking up on animal grain, I had some success with making a beautiful loaf of wholegrain bread for the humans in my family.  Perhaps it was because it was made with my homemade buttermilk, but I think this is my best loaf yet!


All those grain snacks made everyone thirsty.  Time for a long, refreshing drink of water.

This water should taste even better having been lugged by yours truly
from the laundry tub in the mud room
since all of my outdoor taps are STILL frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment