Friday 10 July 2020

Enough is Enough

On the bright side, according to our weather station, today was not as hot as yesterday.

This was the temperature during morning chores yesterday.
51 degrees C with the humidex. 
51 C at 9:30 am! 
That is ludicrous.
On the other hand, my animals have had enough of this heat.  I noticed that both Poppy and Abbott were out of sorts today.  When I checked on the sheep at 3pm, Poppy had her head hanging down and was pulling herself around on her knees.  What a terrifying sight for a shepherd! 

I carried her immediately into the air conditioned mudroom where Alistair and I sat with her inside until she perked up, took a long, cool drink of water, and looked ready to head back out to her family. 

I am not sure Ali is going to turn into a farmer; he was absolutely terrified of Poppy's loud "Bah!" calling for her Mama.  After we brought her back outside, Poppy nursed from Violet and thankfully stayed up on her feet.  She looked like she could handle the remainder of the afternoon heat so we left her in her Mama's care.  At my next check she was still doing well and so everyone made it through yet another day of scorching heat.

This heat wave has seriously gone on long enough.  I have tons of outside work to do that I simply cannot undertake in this kind of heat.  Let's all be reasonable here; this is not Death Valley, Nevada or the Lut Desert in Iran. This is Ottawa.  Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment