Sunday 26 July 2020

A Steamy Sunday Slog

Today's record breaking hot weather derailed my schedule of farm chores.  I was eager for today to come because Ian had offered to take the reigns on Ali care, freeing me up to do some of the more onerous farm chores.

I got off to a nice early start and had the lambs vaccinated, the goat kids medicated, the donkey barn and chicken coop mucked, and all the regular daily farm chores and watering completed by lunch.  Our new farm hand, Emma, stopped by this morning to help weed the chicken run garden.  She almost had it done by quitting time so I decided to finish up the last few bits before lunch.  Well, the midday heat beating down on me almost killed me.  Our weather station said it was 36 C (feels like 41 C).  Ugh.  

After a lunch time cool off, I tried to head back out to finish mucking the pig and goat barns and plant seeds in the now vacant garlic patch before the forecasted rain.  Unfortunately, all I managed to accomplish before being chased back inside by the heat was to tie up some of the tomato cages that were falling over.

So, instead of getting a jump on my weekly farm chores during my Ali-free afternoon, I spent it hiding in the basement with Liam and Seamus watching Winnie the Pool on Disney+.  Enjoyable, yes...productive, no.

And even worse, this undesirable rejigging of my schedule meant that after putting the kids to bed at 7 pm, I had to head back outside in the heat (thankfully it was low 30s by then) to spend another three hours doing the chores I had not yet completed.  Boo.


If nothing else, I am proud of myself that I got all the jobs done.  All my barns are mucked, my seeds are planted, my chicken coop garden is weeded, my tomato cages are tied, my bread for tomorrow's CSA baskets is rising, my kids are alive and asleep, and I too survived the atrocious heat in one piece (albeit barely).


While I am not holding my breath for rain tonight and tomorrow, there is still a tiny spark of hope in my heart that I will wake to a sopping wet world.  Here's to hoping that Monday morning's CSA harvest is a cool and really, really wet one!

No comments:

Post a Comment