Monday 20 July 2020

Frightening Farm Hands

With Halloween looming in the not too distant future, our resident spooks are getting in some early scare practice.  I had a ghostly helper during CSA harvesting this morning.  He scared the bejesus out of me when I turned around to find him loitering in my shadow but after this, my little ghost farmer was most helpful.



We prepared beautiful vegetable baskets that included: Chinese cabbage, turnip, eggplant, green and banana peppers, beets, chard, red onions, parsley, zucchini fruit and stems, raspberries, kale, cherry tomatoes, basil, dill, thyme and nasturtium blossoms.


Unfortunately for me, the scary shenanigans continued throughout the day with visits from a horrendously ugly two-headed, four-armed pink people eater 


and an oh so terrifying red horned, fuzzy haired wildebeest.


And the scariest thing of all?  Processing four more ducks after the kids went to bed.  I have butchered poultry before but I had never actually plucked a duck.  Well, now I have.  The first one was a bit frightening but I got the hang of it by the second and did a stellar job.  

Halfway done.
Five ducks in the freezer, one in our bellies, and seven left to go.  At least we are now well prepared to feed all the ravenous ghouls currently in residence here on Gael Glen Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment