Monday 24 February 2020

Cleaning House

With the feeling of spring in the air, Seamus (who is home from school recovering from surgery) and I cleaned out our bird houses to make room for this year's mamas and babies.


I know it might be a while yet before the birds return but it was such a beautiful blue bird sky kind of day that we could not resist getting ready for their arrival.







In addition to dreaming of birds returning, we were also wondering how our honey bees are faring.  We trudged through the snow to check out the hives and found our bees happily out and about!  There were bees flying in and out of each of our five hives!  Everyone is alive!  That is thrilling news.  While winter is surely not over yet (we are scheduled for another blizzard in a few days), it is truly a cause for celebration that all of our ladies have made it this far.


I also must admit that it is lovely to have Seamus around to be my trusty helper again.  After all the time we spent together last year, I truly miss having him with me during the day as I go about my farm duties.  I am looking forward to when Alistair can walk and talk so we can spend more time enjoying the outdoors without me having to lug him around in a baby carrier and keep up the lion's share of the conversation, though I do appreciate the enthusiastic "Da!"s that he has started adding to my running commentary.

The sun is shining, the bees are buzzing, it got up to 15 degrees C, and I got to spend bonding time with my favourite Seamus.  It is a happy day here on Gael Glen Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment