Tuesday 21 January 2020

The Mysterious Silver Stranger

It all started with Charlie pooping in her grain bowl.  I brought it inside for a good scrub and was able to get it looking shinier than ever.  Proudly I went back to the barnyard to present it to Charlie and that was when things went awry. 

Instead of catching Charlie's eye, my shiny silver bowl attracted Adstock's attention immediately.  He took one quick look, cocked his horns and rammed full steam ahead.  Luckily, I was paying attention and quickly positioned the bowl between Adstock's gigantic horns and my knees.  I did get knocked but not badly. 

I hightailed it out of Adstock's path thinking "what the hell has got into him"?  Up to this point, Adstock has been the gentlest animal I have ever cared for.  He comes to me everyday for chin scratches which he rewards with enthusiastic tail wags.  Only after reaching the safety of the other side of the paddock gate did I finally clue in that Adstock was not attacking me, he was protecting his flock from the mysterious silver stranger reflected in the super shiny metal bowl.   Handsome, gentle and protective - Adstock is practically the Jamie Fraser of sheep!

Adstock and his nemesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment