Sunday 13 January 2013

It was 8:15pm and I hadn't caught anything yet...

Ian here with a fishing report!
The Shack out in the foggy abyss

It was a slushy/wet evening out there.  The walk out to the shack was fraught with possible soakers as the water and slush was pretty well all the way up to the top of the rubber portion of my Sorel Boots.  Walked out carefully figuring if I got my feet wet it would make an uncomfortable night.  Lots of ice, so no issue with safety but I was in my trusty floater jacket just in case.  After a few hours of nothing but a dinky perch, I had complained to a few people by phone that I was skunking it up big time.  My fire was starting to go out and I wasn't going to put anything else into the stove.  I was disappointed.

I was on the phone with my buddy in Cornwall when one of my tip-ups lit up.  I went out with the phone, told him it was a biggie, I landed it (it was hooked perfectly), and then went into the shack and saw a slight tug on my pickerel rig..  Whammo, reeled 'er in and landed another fish.  LING!

It all happened within 15 minutes and kept my streak of no skunks in 2013 alive.

17 inch fish!
One real nice 17" walleye and a 15-16" ling (not pictured).  The walleye actually was just like the ones we get in Thunder Bay -- I was thrilled.

Also, biggest walleye I've caught in the last 2-3 years I think from the Ottawa river.

More to come!



Ready for the Fish Crisp



Ian at home just before cleaning mr walleye


3 comments:

  1. Congrats Ian... bet he was tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He WILL be tasty. He's frozen right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need a picture of those ugly looking Ling for everyone to see.

    ReplyDelete