Monday 15 August 2022

Moonlighting as a Chicken Farmer

Our days are nothing if not interesting around here. I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but Gus Gus has been missing for weeks. Since our vacation. It is sad. But I was really sad last night when I could not find Pecky Becky. She is always waiting for me at the back door of the coop to say good night. Always. Except for last night. After frantically searching the poplar grove in the twilight, I located her tucked away in the prickly plants. I relocated her back to the coop and she was not inside 10 seconds when a huge and truly evil teenaged rooster attacker her and ripped out a bunch of her feathers. I was appalled and then enraged. How dare anyone hurt Pecky Becky?!

And so, it might not surprise you that tonight Ian and I had a laugh about finding ourselves to be professionals by day and chicken farmers by night. By 8:30 pm eight fresh roosters were making their way to the freezer - one of which really, really deserved it. There are now seven roosters remaining in the coop. Only two will make it to spring. The most docile rooster wins. Turkey bullies need not apply. Only time will tell...



No comments:

Post a Comment