Saturday 26 December 2020

Barnyard Chaos

There may not be much going on in the farmhouse but what a day in the barnyard!  

During morning chores I was greeted by a biting wind and frozen water faucets.  There is not much that is more annoying (aside from Ava's bad behaviour, of course) than frozen water faucets.  Lugging water pails to the various animal shelters was lots of fun.  NOT!

All the latches to the chicken coop were also frozen shut.  I needed a hammer to pry them loose.  When I finally entered the chicken coop to collect the eggs, I bumped right into Beemster - laying stone-dead on the coop floor.  Granted, he was a really elderly rooster and these plunging temperatures are tough on everyone, but what a sad, sad happening.  RIP Beemster.  You were a kind and lovely gentleman of a rooster.  You will be greatly missed.


Next at the goat barn the head latch on their milking stand was frozen shut.  When I tried to jiggle it loose, it snapped off completely.  Of course, it did.  There was absolutely no way the goats were standing still unrestrained to be milked so that was helpful. Again, sarcasm.  Thankfully, Ian was home today and made quick work of replacing the broken part for me with some leftover trim from building the donkey barn.

When I went out a half hour to milk the goats on my repaired stand, I noticed that Ava had obviously been chasing Martha and had left bloody bite marks on her hind legs.  I immediately tethered Ava and cleaned Martha's legs with warm soapy water, then applied Polysporin to her wounds.  Martha will live but UGGH Ava!  Seriously?!

What a morning.  Thankfully the rest of the day was uneventful; that was enough excitement to last me for a week at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment