Sunday 3 February 2013

Winter Trout Fishing Adventure

Ian here, for the last post in fish week.

Well, yesterday I had decided I would post when I got home from a fishing trip into the Lanark County highlands with tons of pictures of the lovely rainbow trout that I would be bringing home.

Alas.  This post will have no pictures taken yesterday.

It's disappointing when you KNOW there are fish in lake (because the ministry puts them there...) but they just won't bite.  When we got there, our prime target lake was inaccessible due to snow banks freezing up really high and not being able to get through with my friend's truck so we picked another lake that I'd been to before and had caught fish.  The only trouble with this one is accessibility is VERY easy and so it's fished pretty regularly.  When we got there, 2 other groups were already set-up (and this lake is very small).

We started by drilling 5-10 holes, all at different depths and then figured we'd move sideways and cover a good portion of the area.  Well....   By the end of the day, we had drilled about 50 holes and had only gotten one little nibble on a set line.  That fish let go pretty well right away and we went home with nothing.

We were using bare #6 hooks pulled down with split shot weights tipped with small minnows and worms in depths ranging from 15 to 50 feet.

I guess it just goes to show, as the famous saying goes, it's called fishing, not catching.

The day wasn't a total bust.  I managed to find a place that re-fills propane tanks in Arnprior and had a great breakfast at the Antrim Truck Stop for 5 bucks.

I'm taking a little break from fishing this week and next weekend I have other plans, so.... no fishing.

This is Ian signing off fish week.  Back to farm stuff Monday!

This is what a rainbow trout looks like on the ice.  I haven't seen this yet in 2013...

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you didn't have luck with catching anything yesterday. Excellent blog posts for fish week, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, Thanks for taking over the blog for Fish Week. I really enjoyed all your fishy posts! You are such a talented blogger that I am now tempted to think of another "theme week" for you to tackle (get the fish pun?). haha

    ReplyDelete