Friday 8 February 2013

Pregnancy Craving: Nonna Mela Pizza

Ah, pregnancy cravings.  I always wondered if I'd have them and you can ask the staff at the local McDonald's - I definitely do.  The food I crave most - the Big Mac.  No kidding, I am usually a Big Mac once a year kind of girl.  I will not admit how many I have eaten since becoming pregnant...it is embarrassing.    Don't ask Ian either - he is my Big Mac partner in crime.  Why oh why do they taste so delicious?!

Recently; however, I have been craving something healthier - the Nonna Mela pizza from the wood-fired pizza joint in Kingston called Woodenheads.  Some especially crazy pregnant ladies would have insisted on driving to Kingston to satisfy this pizza urge but instead I decided to be creative (and frugal) by replicating this delectable dinner at home.

Luckily I just made a batch of apple butter which is a key ingredient in the Nonna Mela pizza, along with roasted garlic, cheddar, sweet onions and chicken.  So, I fried up some red onions, roasted some garlic cloves in the oven, grated some cheddar cheese and whipped up a batch of homemade pizza dough in our bread maker...before I knew it...tada!...homemade Nonna Mela.






The pizza was absolutely delicious and I was able to completely satisfy my pregnancy craving without having to drive all the way to and from Kingston to do it!  Woohoo!

My Nonna Mela.
Woodenheads' Nonna Mela.
Now if I could just recreate the Big Mac at home...curse that special sauce!

1 comment: