Wednesday 19 December 2012

A Fowl Meal

Well, disciplining the duck didn't work...


No, no....I am totally kidding.  First of all, the beast above is at least five times bigger than Leah would ever be on his heaviest day and secondly, I'm pretty sure I would never eat Leah, especially after only one day of corrective disciplinary action.  The only poultry that ever ended up in the pot on this farm (so far) was our rooster, Cornelius, and that is a story for another day.

Rest assured, Leah is alive and well in the chicken coop with the rest of the poultry though he seems increasing perturbed at being put into submissive every time he tries to bite me.  I think my duck behaviour corrective action might be working!

The fowl we did cook up was a turkey that Ian bought from the store last week.  As you know, Ian can't resist a bargain and so when turkeys went on sale at Sobeys he bought two!  We don't have enough freezer space for two huge turkeys with the rest of the food we are preparing for the holidays so Ian decided to cook one up in advance.  Usually we name our turkey before the cooking process begins but I didn't get the chance this time; the turkey was in the roasting pot and in the oven so fast that before I knew what was happening he was half done!

Turkey in the oven.
He turned out perfectly, though I missed the unveiling since I was already in bed by the time he was done and when I came down for breakfast the next morning he was already chopped up and part of him made into turkey pot pie.  Now Ian is all practiced up for the Boxing Day turkey when the whole family is over.  He is turning into quite the chef and there are absolutely no complaints about this from me!



No comments:

Post a Comment