Thursday 7 March 2019

The Chicken of Bread

Someone once said that chickens are the gateway drug to farming.  This is so true - hens are amazing.  I still remember when my dad took me to get my very first dozen feathery friends.  After starting with layers, I moved on to experiment with egg laying ducks, sheep, a donkey, honey bees, and miniature goats.

In the same way that I find chickens to be beautiful, easy to care for, and producers of something delicious, I have likewise discovered a bread recipe that is the gateway drug to bread making.

I started bread making with naturally leavened sourdough, which in hindsight was not the best idea.  Making good sourdough bread is difficult and can be frustrating.  I liken it to the beekeeping of bread making - it is challenging, but that is a big part of why people like it.  However, it takes time and commitment to master.  Usually I like a challenge but lately I have a lot of things on the go and often only one hand with which to do everything (the other seems to constantly be bouncing Alistair).

As such, I have been seeking a bread recipe that is less like my bees and more like my chickens.  I need something fast and easy enough to make everyday but that also results in a delicious loaf of bread.  I will leave the intricacies of sourdough to sometime in the future when I have more time and patience to commit to the art of naturally leavened bread making.

After much experimenting with yeast breads, I am ready to share my current go-to recipe.  This recipe is designed to make minimal dishes, require very little kneading (none by hand), no starter, and flexible rise times.  The resulting bread is still fantastic - open crumb, nice flavour and a crunchy crust.  Functional and delicious - this is exactly what I need these days.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Gael Glen's Gateway Bread Recipe

In the mixer bowl add:

3 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp sea salt


Using the bread hook, mix everything (I use the KitchenAid mixer) on the lowest speed until combined.


Then mix for 2 minutes on Speed 2.


It makes a wet dough but it should not stick to the bottom of the bowl while mixing.


Scrape the dough into a clean bowl that has been sprayed liberally with cooking spray.


Spray cooking spray into a plastic shower cap (this is great because you can do it with one hand!).


Cover the bowl and let it rise for 8-24 hours (really, whatever is convenient).


Remove the dough from the bowl, stretch and fold and form a boule.  Put the dough ball into a floured banneton and leave it for a second rise.  You can leave at it at room temperature if you want a faster rise or put it in the fridge if you want to keep it overnight to bake the following morning.  I have tried both methods and both work equally well.

When the dough has doubled, preheat the oven and a cast iron dutch oven (or roasting pan) to 450f.  Transfer the dough to parchment paper, score the top, and bake it in the pre-heated dutch oven with the lid on for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.


This recipe is very forgiving with rise times which means major flexibility.  You can bake it whenever is convenient for you.  So, if you unexpectedly get called to pick your kid up at school and have to bring him for an impromptu doctor's appointment because he has impetigo  - no problem, the bread can wait.


Like I said, it is the chicken of homemade bread - beautiful, easy and delicious.

1 comment:

  1. And I can vouch for deliciousness! The standing rule at Gael Glen is that Grandma gets to eat the crust end(s) of the loaf when she is staying! Mmm!!!

    ReplyDelete