Friday 1 March 2019

Experimental Oat Cakes

To accompany our latest lamb stew, I decided to experiment with East Coast style oat cakes.


Inspired by Mike's Nova Scotia Oat Cakes recipe but adjusted to suit the contents of my pantry, here is what I ended up with...

Gael Glen Farm's Oat Cakes

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rye flakes (I used these because I had them on hand for feeding sourdough starter, you could substitute with flour)
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup boiling water
2 cups quick rolled oats

Preheat oven to 375f

Combine the flour, rye flakes and butter in a mixer until the mixture becomes crumbly like moist sand. Mix in the sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the oats and the water and mix well. It will form a very sticky and stiff dough. Roll it out between parchment paper to ¼” thick, remove top parchment and then score into desired size.


Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes.


Remove from sheet pan and break along score lines while still warm. EAT!

The verdict?

On the plus side: they were good - sweet and salty (a bit too sweet in my opinion, I will reduce the amount of sugar next time). The oat cakes tasted a lot like date squares without the dates.

On the bad side: after making (and eating) the cakes, I remembered that oats are on my "do not eat while breastfeeding" list. They gave Alistair a really awful belly ache which resulted in a relatively sleepless night for us both. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. OMG...totally forgot the oats were a no-no while we ate them! They were good though!

    ReplyDelete