Saturday 23 March 2019

A Solitary Bird

Upon entering the chicken coop last night I was careful to keep one eye on Granby.  Out of the corner of my other eye, however, I noticed that there was a blood bath on the top bar of the chickens' roost.  The first thought to cross my mind was FOX!  But no, everyone seemed to be present and accounted for.  The bloody spot is most often occupied by Beemster the rooster, so I stalked him around the coop (again keeping one eye on Granby) and finally tackled him. 


After flipping him upside down, sure enough I found a large bloody sore on the pad of his left foot.  I carried him to the house and cleaned out his foot with warm water and soap and then coated it with Polysporin.


Beemster spent the night and all of today in the luxury of a dog crate in the mudroom.  Alas, roosters are not meant to live in mudrooms.  Beemster himself smells fine but his poop really reeks.


Beemster's foot looked much better this evening and it is warmer outside tonight, so our very stinky rooster got relocated in his crate to staging area #2 (the garage).


I am hoping that he is better enough to return to the coop tomorrow or the next day.  Until then, Beemster is living a life of solitude.  I bet that he misses his ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment