Monday 7 January 2019

The Need to Knead

As I work on perfecting my yeast bread making skills, I am trying to figure out things like optimal kneading time as well as rising times and ingredient measurements.  I am also trying to figure out time efficient ways of doing things since I expect my down time to be more limited in the coming weeks.  For example, it is commonly accepted that 10-12 minutes of kneading by hand equates to 2 minutes of kneading using the Kitchenaid mixer's bread hook on Speed 2.

After the autolyse (rest) period of 15 minutes but before kneading.

After 2 minutes of kneading on speed 2.
I have now left the dough to bulk ferment (first rise) in the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning I will shape it into a boule (round loaf) for the second rise in the banneton (proofing basket).

Just call me a baker extraordinaire!  At least perfecting my bread baking is something productive that I can do with this 9.2 lbs baby still in my stomach and 12 more days until my due date.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment