Wednesday 9 January 2019

Ian's Search & Squash Mission

To some extent we can choose our battles in life.  Since the fall, Ian has been waging war against the aphids determined to devour the leaves of the hot pepper plants that he is attempting to overwinter inside. 


At some point each day, I find him methodically surveying his plants, searching for the offending creatures. 


When he finds an aphid (which he inevitably does), he sprays the infested plant with soap water and then gleefully squashes the bug.  Ian is meticulous and very regimented in his search and squash mission but, between you and I, I think that the aphids might be winning.  He finds at least a few each day and they are doing their utmost to migrate to Liam's baby pumpkin plants that he planted at school and gave us for Christmas.

So far, the aphids have left my houseplants alone and I am really hoping that they are not fond of the microgreens that I began sprouting earlier this week.

Peas.
Now that our outside garden is officially done, I am craving fresh greens.  Moreover, I will soon be able to eat sprouts and microgreens again without worrying about food poisoning our fetus.  So, I figured I better get them started.  Besides, it is nice to see something growing besides my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment