Friday 4 January 2019

My Mixer Fixer

Every homesteader has their favourite tools - those super useful items that make completing important tasks much easier.  My favourite outside tool right now is Ian's ice fishing sled.  Without this lightweight, easily balanced sled, feeding and watering the animals twice daily would be much more difficult during wintertime.


My butter yellow Kitchenaid mixer is by far my favourite indoor tool.  Not only is she a beauty but I have made countless loaves of bread, muffins, whipped cream, churned butter, etc. with the help of this little lady.


Ian and I splurged on this yellow mixer and travelled across the border to pick it up over a decade ago - before we even had our first apartment together.  I even painted the kitchen walls in our home to colour match her.  I am very attached to this particular mixer. 

Not surprisingly, I was quite distressed yesterday when the mixer's locking mechanism stopped working.  It is almost impossible to use the mixer for kneading bread dough with the top bouncing all over the place. 

Thank goodness, over the course of our marriage Ian has evolved into an excellent fixer.


Ian has always been good at taking things apart; however, there have been times in the past where his "fixing" ability has been questionable.   I remember when he attempted to fix our kettle.  Unfortunately, one piece remained after he put it back together and the automatic shut off function never worked again. 

As Ian took my mixer apart today, I will admit I was a bit nervous to see its parts all spread out on the counter.  Happily, he was able to put the mixer pieces all back together and now its locking mechanism is working again.

In celebration, I made some bread starter which I will let ferment over night in anticipation of kneading with my mixer and then baking for fresh loaves of bread tomorrow.  All these years later, I guess the kettle's sacrifice was worth it.  Thanks for being my mixer fixer Ian - you are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment