Thursday 15 August 2019

Grapes, Goats and, of course, Rhubarb

Life goes on, even when there are super cute goaties on the farm.  With all the attention focused on Percy and Luna, my gardens have been getting neglected.  There are only so many hours in a day and when you have to choose between baby goat snuggles and pulling weeds, the baby goats win every time.

Luckily I have a few helpers coming tomorrow.  With Kristy to watch the kids (human and goat) and Mrs. Cheryl to help me in the garden, we should be able to make a dent in the weeding.  I have another CSA basket to harvest tomorrow; I hope my CSA families like yellow beans, kale, sweet basil and zucchini because these items are now available in abundance!

Even though I have not been giving my gardens the attention that they deserve, I did notice that the gray mold on my grapes is back.  My best diagnosis is that they are suffering from a combination of powdery mildew and perhaps botrytis bunch rot.  Whatever ails them, I took decisive action.  I aggressively pruned off any diseased bunches and disposed of them in the garbage (as opposed to the compost pile) so that any possible fungal spores do not spread.  This my second time treating this issue so hopefully this staves off the disease(s) until the grapes ripen in a few weeks.


In addition to paying some attention to my grape vines, I also worked on my rhubarb patch again.  I was gifted two more gorgeous rhubarb plants from our friends Kelsey and Brody (Thank You!).  The boys and I (mostly I) dug them out, brought them home, added them to our patch and gave them a good watering.  I am hopeful that they will take.  My patch is looking awesome.  I cannot wait until spring to see if I get a good rhubarb harvest!


These were that stalks that did not survive the transplant. 
I guess we will just have to eat them. Too bad!
As interesting as grapes and rhubarb are, the day would not be complete without a goat update.  Percy and Luna have started bouncing around as only baby goats can.  They are adorable.  Martha, on the other hand, is being a stubborn old goat.  I have tried letting her rest in a quiet stall in the barn, feast on delicious grass in the back paddock, I have given her high protein grain snacks, back rubs, verbal encouragement - and....nothing.  I guess her kids are going to come when they are good and ready and not a moment before regardless of what Martha or I have to say about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment