Friday 30 August 2019

Good Friends are Icing on the Cake of Life

Some days I feel like I am living the dream.  Do not get me wrong - other days are a nightmare.  But today was one of the really good days.


Part of what makes a really good day is happy kids.  Today was Seamus' first official day of school.  He was ecstatic.


Seamus was thrilled to get on the bus in front of his cheering squad.  Mama, Papa, Liam and Alistair where there obviously, but our wonderful neighbours Mr. George and Mrs. Isabel and our close family friend Ms. Cheryl also came to see him off.  What made it even more special was that Monica the Monarch flew in for the farewell too.  She landed on a branch right at the end of the driveway and fluttered Seamus good luck and best wishes. I have heard that as Catholic traditions intermingled with indigenous cultures, monarch butterflies came to be regarded as the souls of departed ancestors returning to Earth for their annual visit.  If that is the case, then I think Grandpa Derrick might have also been present for this special little boy's big moment.


Seamus had an excellent first day in Kindergarten.  He was happy to have learned a new French word "oiseau" and he said that he is looking forward to going back next week.  What a relief!

In addition to having happy kids, I felt very loved and supported today.  I am certainly blessed to have wonderful neighbours and super supportive family friends who all pitch in to help me achieve my dream of farmsteading.

Ms. Cheryl came by today to help me harvest my CSA baskets during Alistair's morning nap.  With the two of us working side by side we were able to prepare the baskets in half the usual time.  We finished just as Ali awoke! 

Today's CSA baskets included: chard, parsley, carrots, jalapeños, yellow wax peppers, sweet chocolate peppers, a thai dragon pepper, yellow zucchinis, a red cabbage, tomatoes, cucamelons, snow and snap peas, yellow beans, daikon radishes, red radishes, sweet basil, licorice basil, lime basil, green leaf lettuce, kale, a sweet walla walla onion, oregano, sage, pineapple sage, lavender, rosemary, summer savory, apples, and a dozen farm fresh eggs.

This week’s bonus item was a homemade beeswax candle.


Later in the morning Aunt Sue and Ms. Kerry arrived to help me get the honey bees sorted out for Sunday's honey extraction.  I am so lucky to have had their help.  While Aunt Sue occupied Ali, Kerry and I got all the honey supers removed, their frames sorted, and mite treatments applied to the hives.  I am beyond grateful for their assistance.

Alistair and I spent the afternoon making peanut butter chocolate chip cookies for after school snack (Seamus' request) and lamb taco salad for supper (Liam's favourite).



Both big boys were in bed and asleep by 6:30 pm.  This gave Ian some time to work on sorting the hot peppers he harvested this morning




and melting beeswax into saleable discs.



One thing that I love about our farm is that everyone does their part to make all the things that we do here possible.  That we have such kind, generous and supportive family and friends who are willing to lend a hand to help us maintain this lifestyle really is icing on the cake that is our wonderful life here on Gael Glen Farm and Apiary.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment