Wednesday 28 August 2019

Advance Preparations

The back to school preparations are almost complete.  Liam is all ready to go.  In fact, he officially started Grade 1 this past Tuesday. He is in Mme. Rachèle's class.


His brothers were excited for him.


Liam has had a good first few days.  He is exhausted when he gets home.  He was sound asleep on the school bus this afternoon, which is hilarious as the ride is only 10 minutes!

Seamus is thrilled to be going for his first day of Maternelle on Friday.  He had his introductory meeting with Mme. Amélie today.  We got to see his classroom and put a few things in his cubby.  Since kindergarten classes are split (half jk, half sk), Seamus is actually joining the class that Liam left.  This is cool because they will have some of the same school friends despite being two years apart.


I must say that from a parent's perspective, starting school with the second child is much less stressful.  It helps that despite his utter lack of french speaking skills, Seamus is ready and raring to go.  He cannot wait to finally be allowed to get on that big yellow school bus at the end of our driveway on Friday morning.


While we have been preoccupied with back to school preparations, I was able to spend half an hour weeding the garden this afternoon during nap time.  While doing so, I took stock of the vegetables that are going to be ready to harvest on Friday.  There are a ton!

One of my CSA families is on vacation this week and have declined their usual basket.  However, I definitely have enough veggies to make one!  This is your chance - if you have ever looked at one of my Friday posts about our epic CSA baskets and thought: "Wow!  I really wish I was the one getting an amazing basket of fresh and delicious veggies!" - it is now or never!  Save yourself a trip to the farmer's market and come by our farm instead.  Send me a message and the basket goes to the first person to reply.  The basket is $50, baby goat snuggles are free.  Baskets are to be picked up Friday afternoon.

Here are some photos of what you will find in this week's basket.

Sweet basil

Heirloom tomatoes.

Yellow zucchini.

Crunchy kale.

Huge, sweet walla walla onions.

Teeny tiny cucamelons.
With both Liam and Seamus in school, this Friday's harvest will be one of the biggest but also one of the quietest yet.  I am so looking forward to a calm and crispy Friday morning in the garden.  Mrs. Cheryl, will you be joining me?  I have some harvesting, weeding and planting to do - all before Ms. Kerry comes by at 11 am to help me with the honey bees and Aunt Sue comes to help watch Alistair.

Even with all my advance preparations, Friday is shaping up to be a very busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment