Sunday 11 August 2019

Bay-bees

We have babies!  No, not baby goats - we are still waiting on those.  But my hive inspection this morning revealed five very healthy hives chock full of baby bees in every stage of development.  Our newest arrivals are these...


If you look on the very bottom of the cells in the center of the photo you will see tiny, white rice grains.  These are brand new bee eggs laid by Her Majesty.

When I inspect the brood box portions of my hives, I am looking to find eggs.  Their presence means that the Queen Bee has been there sometime in the last two days.  It is much easier to find eggs than it is to locate the actual Queen; there are many eggs and only one Queen and the eggs are stationary whereas the Queen often motors around the frames.


When I have this many bees in a hive, I want to be in and out as quickly as possible and cause the least amount of disruption.


Busy, happy hives make for an ecstatic beekeeper.  The only thing that could make this day better are goat babies but I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow (hopefully) for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment