Tuesday 23 September 2014

Sage Storage is Wise Preservation

Every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas, as I stand in the grocery store and stare at the cling wrapped bundles of sage for $5, I wonder why, oh why, didn't I grow sage in my herb garden during the summer?  Of all the useful and delicious spices to grow, it took me until this year to get some planted on the farm.  Luckily, it grew to be huge and fragrant and so, was very much worth the effort.  With all my outdoor plants on the decline, it was time to cut the sage, dry it out and store it until it is turkey cooking time.  I was so excited about this task, I forgot to take many "in the process" photos but the end product turned out amazing.  My cling wrapped bundle of sage is about four times what you buy in the store and smells simply amazing.  It makes my mouth water thinking of cranberry sauce, my dad's stuffing and my mom's pumpkin pie.  I am glad Thanksgiving is coming up soon!

My herb garden.  The sage is the purple bush on the back left.

The dehydrator was the perfect tool to dry out the sage.  I put the whole bush in at once
and ran the dehydrator overnight.  It was dry as a bone come morning.

Finished product: cling wrapped sage.  The herb is so easy to use when packaged this way.
You simply hold the bundle upright and squeeze along its length until lots of crushed up
sage leaves sprinkle out the bottom.  Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment