Friday 26 September 2014

Roasted Roots

I am happy to report that our preparations for the 2014 Carp Fair are complete.  All of our entries have been submitted and everything was judged yesterday.  I cannot wait until the weekend to see if we won anything.  We submitted the following items:

  1. Field pumpkin
  2. Field squash
  3. Apples
  4. Grapes
  5. Crab apples
  6. Carrots, longer than 5"
  7. Carrots, shorter than 5"
  8. Green peppers
  9. Red peppers
  10. Jalapenos
  11. Other hot pepper (chili peppers)
  12. Pears
  13. Parsley
  14. Display of 3 herbs (spearmint, thyme and Cuban oregano)
  15. Marigolds, smaller than 2"
  16. Marigolds, larger than 2"
  17. Echinacea flowers
  18. Dill pickles
  19. Bread and butter pickles
  20. 9 day pickles
  21. Icicle pickles
  22. Dill beans
  23. Pickled beets
  24. Blueberry jam
  25. Crab apple jelly
  26. Honey, light coloured
  27. Maple syrup, extra light and light coloured
  28. Display of honey products
  29. Tea biscuits
  30. Tomato soup cake
  31. Berry honey wine
  32. Apple cider
  33. Ale
  34. Lager
  35. Aloe vera plant
  36. Miniature tomatoes
  37. Samples of beeswax
Lots of entries, huh?  It took us a ton of time to pull it all together, and to package and label everything.  Luckily my mom was able to come over and she helped a lot.  She did the flower arranging for us and I must say all that of our flower entries look mighty fine.  She also helped me with my honey display which now looks much, much better.  I think we might have some winners here!

Since we submitted in both carrot categories, it required me to pick all of the carrots remaining in our gardens.  


















As such I had a carrot surplus and was able to make roasted carrot, squash and pumpkin soup.  The great thing about this is it made a bunch extra so I could stock the freezer with this hearty meal to pull out on a snowy winter day.  I am thinking maybe for lunch on Christmas day after my annual afternoon snowshoeing excursion.


















We will report back on the outcome of the fair on Monday's post.  Keep your fingers crossed for us! In the meantime, we will be enjoying our roasted carrot soup with some fresh homemade bread.  Hopefully, you are having something healthy and delicious for lunch today too!

No comments:

Post a Comment