Wednesday 13 March 2013

I'm A Smoker And I'm Not Quitting

Hi everyone.  Ian writing again.

I have a confession.

I'm a smoker, I smoke as often as I can and I don't cheap out either, I like the good stuff.  I didn't start in high school, but I feel like I've been missing out for a while, which is what all of my buddies used to tell me...

Nothing says it's springtime more than that first time you can comfortably smoke outdoors and not freeze your butt off.

I can, with a reasonable amount of certainty, state that I found a way to smoke that doesn't make Krystal angry, in fact, she's been begging me to start smoking since I first mentioned it over the summer.

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've been planning and building an "ugly drum smoker" (read up on google) -- there are lots of other smokers out there, but I wanted a project and this one was a perfect fit.  I'll be writing one day about the build process, but today it's about the smoking process...

It all starts with a coup'la racks 'o ribs.  I choose back ribs when they are on sale...

Then, add some mustard and dry rub, leave them in the fridge all night (photo is of ribs on the way into the fridge)...



Bring them out the next day, 1 hour before cooking starts...
  
Start up the charcoal, add in your wood bits 
(I used mesquite and sugar maple charcoal with mesquite wood bits)

Place it in the drum and let the smoker get up to 225...


Not quite ready...

Put the ribs on, wait 3 hours, wrap them in foil with a little bit of liquid, give them another 2, take off the foil and give them another hour or so...  Make sure the drum stays at 225!  We are ESPECIALLY careful not to leave Krystal in charge -- that's a sure way to have burnt food.  Trust me.

Take them off and let them rest...


Slather on some BBQ sauce and eat-em up....  You've never tasted anything like it.  Krystal even said "This is the best meal you've ever made" and that's saying that everything else I've made is bad.  

Thanks.

Look who's never feeding you again...


Mouth watering?  Now maybe you'll start smoking like the rest of the cool kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment