Thursday 29 November 2012

Fudge Making Lesson

Everyone has special dishes they grew up with as a child that hold a particularly fond place in their heart and stomach.  Often these recipes were made by parents, grandparents or godparents, usually at special times of the year.  As Ian and I work to establish a family unit of our own, it has become important to us to incorporate these family recipes into our traditions and special gatherings as an ode to our family members and past memories, and also because they are yummy.

A few of my treasured recipes are Dad's stuffing, Mom's chocolate chip cookies, Don's slow cooker ribs, Cora's caesar salad, Grandma's butter tarts and cherry cheesecake, Grandpa Al's crustless pumpkin pie, Aunt Debbie's jello salad and Aunt Jane's maple fudge. My mouth is watering just thinking about all these delicious things.

Sometimes having the recipe is enough to replicate the delectable dish but we have found that, in most cases, it is essential to schedule a hands-on baking session with the family member whose dish you are trying to reproduce in order to learn their "special baking techniques, tips and secrets" - otherwise, the resulting dish is simply not the same.

My Dad had his special baking session with Aunt Jane years ago when he was designated by the family to learn her fudge recipe for posterity.  Since then he has done us proud perfecting and improving her fudge. I helped his progress along by assigning him fudge making duty for our wedding.


I think Dad must have made eight huge batches of fudge in the week leading up to the wedding (Tanya, Catriona and I did lots of taste testing).  Post-wedding we received numerous testimonials that Dad's party favours were thoroughly enjoyed by all of our wedding guests - except Cam (fudge isn't vegan - he ate everyone's decorative apples instead).


Today, I had a special baking session with Dad where he passed down the secret technique to making Aunt Jane's maple fudge. 



Ian and I will be bringing the results of my baking session to Cora's tree decorating party this weekend where many of you will be able to judge for yourselves if my fudge making talents are up to par.


In a future blog post I will give you the fudge recipe and provide photos of the fudge making process so you too can try your hand at this family favourite.  Stay tuned!

1 comment: