Tuesday 15 December 2020

The Unlucky Ducky ICU

It has not been a good week to be Kate.  Yesterday this elderly Indian Runner Duck almost got herself locked out of the coop in the freezing cold.  This evening, I found her inside the coop well before bedtime but sporting a bright red, bloody gash on the top of her head.  Poor old ducky.


Seeing as this duck is his special sweetheart, I summoned Seamus to help me keep Kate (Quack Quack to him) calm while I smeared Polysporin on her wound and set up the Unlucky Ducky ICU in the coop.  

They do not say that chickens are the distant relations of the velociraptor for nothing.  If any chicken sees red on any other bird, it most often leads to a pecking free-for-all until the injured bird is no longer.  Chickens can be ruthless murder machines.

I have no reliable intel to explain how exactly Kate came to be a bloody mess but my poultry spidey-sense tells me that the juvenile roosters were involved.  The juvenile roosters are always involved.  On other days I have witnessed Cock-a-doodle-don't initiating attempts at cross-breeding the always very unwilling ducks.  If I had to guess I would say that Kate's injuries are a result of the sharp beak of an overly amorous teenage cockerel and her being too old, slow, and half-blind to get away.

Again, poor Kate.  This is not the first time that she has been the unlucky recipient of the attentions of an aggressive rooster.  Way back in her youth (on Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 to be exact), she was attacked by Cornelius, our first ever rooster, resulting in the loss of her left eye and my first solo butchering undertaking.  I bet you can see where this is going.  I am thinking that it has come time for Henry and Cock-a-doodle-don't to meet their maker and join Cornelius in the Good Place for Naughty Roosters.

Meanwhile, Kate will remain in the Unlucky Ducky ICU until her head wound heals up and the scab is no longer visible.  At least her ICU is inside the coop with the flock - thank you Uncles Kyle and Shawn for gifting us an amazing puppy crate (aka bird infirmary).  There would have been a time where the Ducky ICU was in our guest bathtub.  (That is a bad idea if you are wondering).  I am glad those days are behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment