Friday 12 January 2018

Freezing Temperatures Make Strange Bedfellows

To my delight, our farm family grew today.  I would like to offer a warm welcome to our new Nigerian Dwarf doelings, Martha and Mellie.  They were my gift to myself for finally finishing my doctorate and I am not sure there is anything cuter on the planet.


This is Martha.  She was born on June 23, 2017.  Her colouring is called chamoisee.  She was raised by her mother named Scarlett.  She is a bit skittish but loves scratches once you get going.


















This is Mellie.  She was born on June 15, 2017.  As you can see, she is black.  Her mother was Luna but she was bottle raised by Lynn, the farmer I adopted her from.  She is incredibly friendly, dog-like almost.  Her tail begins to wag like crazy when you come close in anticipation of scratches.  Mellie loves to eat.  Loves it.  She is much rounder than Martha, because she munches constantly.  This was the best photo I could get since she was so preoccupied with eating hay that I could not get her to look up at me.



These goats are tiny.  They are the same size as Charlotte, our biggest miniature schnauzer.  Because they are so small, I have housed them in the chicken coop for the winter - on the human (now goat) side.  There is a heat lamp in there to keep them warm and they have the company of three dozen birds.

This sounds like a great plan to me, though I am not sure the chickens are entirely on board.  When I put the goats in the coop all the chickens ran out and refused to go back inside.


If I can paraphrase chicken, "What the heck are those things?  Why are they in our coop?  What are they saying?  What is "Mahhhhhh!"?  Is that even a word?  Are they staying?  She expects us to live with them?!  Ugh!  The nerve."

But then it began to ice rain and dropped 16 degrees C in 2 hours.  This seemed to change their tune and everyone filed inside the coop to be warm and protected from the wind.  Freezing temperatures make strange bedfellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment